Properly Cleaning Wood Flooring
Wood flooring looks beautiful in every home, but proper care is extremely important to keep the integrity and life of your wood flooring strong and pristine. With a large and often intimidating selection of hard wood floor cleaners on the market, it’s sometimes impossible on deciding which is best for your wood flooring.
Firstly, it’s important to determine the finish of your wood flooring. Before you go and grab a bucket and mop, determine if your hardwood floor is sealed or not and what type of finish is on the wood. The finish of your wood floor determines how you clean it. If you bought your floor from a local store, such as Flooring America, call and inquire about the finish of your wood flooring before cleaning it, stores like Flooring America have flooring experts that can help you make the best choice. The most common finishes for wood flooring are:
- Surface Sealed: A lot of wood floors are sealed with urethane, polyacrylic, and Polyerethane. These types of finishes are safe from water damage and the easiest to clean.
- Penetrating seal and Oil treated: Floors with this finish require a liquid or paste wax for proper cleaning. It’s important to pamper this type of wood flooring to preserve its life and natural beauty.
- Lacquered, Varnished, and Untreated: Floors treated with lacquers, varnishes, and shellacs should be treated the same as oil treated floors, using liquid or paste wax.
The life of your wood flooring depends on the tender loving care you take when cleaning them. Never use oils, waxes, or furniture spray on wood flooring, and always be sure to use non-abrasive cleaners that cannot dull or scratch the beautiful wood finish.
Latest posts by Alison (see all)
- Get ready for Spring with free offers from: Home Depot, Suave, Pottery Barn Kids, Disney, and savings from Mabel’s Labels. - April 17, 2014
- Tiny Prints sitewide sale ends today! Plus special offers for you from Yogurtland and more! - April 15, 2014
- Weekend freebies for DIY projects from MinWax, True Value, Walgreens, and more! - April 11, 2014